Oct 28, 2010, 2:36 PM EST
A couple of Thursday morning thoughts while you try to comprehend how a World Series game started by Cliff Lee and Tim Lincecum wound up featuring 18 combined runs and 12 combined pitchers…
Bryce Harper's performance in his third Arizona Fall League game didn't quite match those from his first two. The 18-year-old right fielder went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts yesterday in the Scottsdale Scorpions' 7-6 loss to the Mesa Solar Sox.
Not that an 0-for-4 showing is worth getting all worked up. I believe Adam Dunn's had a few of those in his career, and I also believe a majority of you out there still want the Nationals to re-sign the big slugger.
Actually, the three most notable things about yesterday's AFL game as far as I'm concerned were the following…
1) Harper threw out a runner at the plate.
2) Mike Rizzo was in attendance at HoHoKam Park to watch Harper and other Nats prospects in person.
3) Harper doesn't wear batting gloves.
I'm surprised that second point hasn't been noted by anyone before. Apparently, he's been doing it for a while — though he did use gloves at the instructional league in Viera because it was so humid there — Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed