Oct 28, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
C.J. Wilson tries to even the series back up for the Rangers tonight at AT&T Park.
After last night's out-of-the-blue slugfest, who knows what to expect tonight in Game 2 of the World Series? Will the offensive explosion continue, or will superior pitching finally prevail? Both starters (C.J. Wilson for the Rangers, Matt Cain for the Giants) certainly are capable of putting together dominant outings. Each has already done it in this postseason. But I think we saw in Game 1 that each lineup is also capable of stringing together a bunch of hits, against some of baseball's best pitchers, nonetheless.
No changes to San Francisco's lineup. Why tinker with a group that scored 11 runs against Cliff Lee and Co.? Texas, though, has made two changes. Matt Treanor, Wilson's personal catcher, is behind the plate instead of Bengie Molina. More notable is the absence of Vladimir Guerrero, who looked awful in right field last night and thus has been benched in favor of David Murphy. The switch was necessary; no way Ron Washington could put Vlad back out there tonight. But how often do you find a team's cleanup hitter benched for Game 2 of the World Series?
The forecast by the Bay isn't the greatest. There's a chance of rain throughout the evening, and the wind could kick up as well. Keep an eye on that. I'll share my thoughts along the way. Please share yours as well…
Where: AT&T Park
SS Elvis Andrus
3B Michael Young
CF Josh Hamilton
RF Nelson Cruz
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion
- Many unknowns in Strasburg's latest injury
- Strasburg placed on the 15-day DL with oblique strain
- For Nats, second half begins with high expectations
- Strasburg exits early in Nationals' 9-3 win
- Strasburg leaves game early due to apparent injury
- Harper on using patriotic bat on the Fourth: "Why not?"
- Nats rolling out special Fourth of July uniforms vs. Giants