Nov 1, 2010, 3:05 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Nyjer Morgan and Jim Riggleman butted heads before this season's bench-clearing brawl.
So Mike Shanahan and Donovan McNabb aren't exactly seeing eye-to-eye right now, huh? Rex Grossman gave the Redskins a better chance of winning in the final two minutes yesterday against one of the lowliest franchises in the NFL than the quarterback with six Pro Bowl appearances and a 96-53-1 career record as a starter?
Weren't these kind of controversies in Redskins Land supposed to disappear now that accomplished, sane people were in charge of the organization? Guess not.
Quarterback controversies, of course, are nothing new. Certainly not in this town, where the last QB who had actual job security might have been Sammy Baugh.
Coach vs. player controversies also are nothing new in the sports world. They happen every year in every town in every sport. They've even happened plenty of times in NatsTown over the last six years.
If you've forgotten these classic Nationals manager/player butting of heads, here's a refresher course…
FRANK ROBINSON VS. JOHN HALAMA (2005)
You can be forgiven if you have no memory of this one. Honestly, how many of you even remember that John Halama pitched for the Nationals? But the journeyman left-hander did, and he actually started three games, including one on September 7 against the Marlins at RFKRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Can dramatic win be a momentum changer?
- Taylor ends it in the 10th with a walk-off 3-run HR
- Barrett has Tommy John surgery, out 12 months
- Taylor has MRI on bruised knee, expects to be back soon
- Roark on the mound as Nats look to continue dominance of Braves
- MLB Power Rankings: Braves sink to the bottom
- Blowout sets Zimmermann up nicely to face Mets
- Bryce Harper makes history without one swing
- Nats knock Braves out of the park in 15-1 pummeling
- Harper returns to Nats lineup, Taylor still hurting