Nov 2, 2010, 8:22 PM EDT
Updated at 7:35 p.m.
In searching for a new third base coach, the Nationals turned to a man they already felt like they knew, even though he'd never previously worked for the organization.
Bo Porter, who was hired today to take the position vacated this week by Pat Listach, played for the Cubs in 1999 when Jim Riggleman was manager. He also interviewed with general manager Mike Rizzo last fall when the Nationals were still searching for a full-time manager.
"When the possibility came about where they were going to have a vacancy … this just happened to be a perfect fit," he said.
Porter, 38, served as the Marlins' third base coach from 2007-09, then joined the Diamondbacks' staff last season. After beginning the year as third base coach, he was promoted to bench coach when manager A.J. Hinch was fired and replaced by Kirk Gibson.
Gibson elected to bring in former Tigers teammate and Cubs bench coach Alan Trammell as his permanent bench coach with the Diamondbacks. Listach, who had been the Nationals' third base coachRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen