Nov 2, 2010, 8:22 PM EDT
Updated at 7:35 p.m.
In searching for a new third base coach, the Nationals turned to a man they already felt like they knew, even though he'd never previously worked for the organization.
Bo Porter, who was hired today to take the position vacated this week by Pat Listach, played for the Cubs in 1999 when Jim Riggleman was manager. He also interviewed with general manager Mike Rizzo last fall when the Nationals were still searching for a full-time manager.
"When the possibility came about where they were going to have a vacancy … this just happened to be a perfect fit," he said.
Porter, 38, served as the Marlins' third base coach from 2007-09, then joined the Diamondbacks' staff last season. After beginning the year as third base coach, he was promoted to bench coach when manager A.J. Hinch was fired and replaced by Kirk Gibson.
Gibson elected to bring in former Tigers teammate and Cubs bench coach Alan Trammell as his permanent bench coach with the Diamondbacks. Listach, who had been the Nationals' third base coachRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Royals edge Giants 3-2 for 2-1 World Series lead
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos