Nov 8, 2010, 3:38 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Adam Dunn is now a free agent and free to sign with anyone.
Back home in D.C., catching up on what's been going on in NatsTown the last few days…
Dunn becomes a free agent
Adam Dunn was free to begin negotiating with any major-league club at 12:01 a.m. Sunday, so the Nationals now have no leverage over anyone else in attempting to re-sign the big slugger. I don't think anyone actually believed the two sides would come to a deal prior to Sunday. From the moment the Nats opted not to trade Dunn at the July 31 deadline, it was clear he would test the open market and see what's out there.
Does this mean there's zero chance Dunn re-signs with the Nationals? No. I still believe he'd come back if the Nats make an offer commensurate with others that are out there. What are other clubs going to offer? We have to wait and see, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's less money (and years) out there than Dunn and agent Greg Genske believe there is.
The conventional wisdom all along has been that Dunn is seeking a four-year deal. Is there a team willing to give a suspect first baseman who turns 31 tomorrow a four-year deal? I'm not so sure, especially when it comes to National League clubs.
There's been a lot of talk about the Cubs going hard after Dunn, but this is an organization already saddled with a bunch of bad contracts (hello, Alfonso Soriano) and a new owner who has suggested payrollRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems
- Janssen unlikely for opener with shoulder tendinitis
- Knee injury concerns go next level for Anthony Rendon
- Nats sign veteran outfielder recently cut by Marlins
- Nats trade lefty reliever to Mets for veteran outfielder
- Storen leaves game with blister on big toe
- Mets find lefty relief help in trade with Padres
- Jordan gets chance to face Cardinals