Nov 10, 2010, 8:35 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman came up short in his bid to win a second straight Rawlings Gold Glove Award this afternoon, losing out to Reds third baseman Scott Rolen in a vote of National League managers and coaches.
Zimmerman, who won the award last season for the first time, appeared to be favored to earn the nod again, but he faced a deep field of fellow third basemen that included Rolen, the Phillies' Placido Polanco, the Mets' David Wright and the Padres' Chase Headley.
Rolen earned his eighth career Gold Glove, though his first since 2006. The 35-year-old enjoyed a stellar comeback season in Cincinnati, committing only eight errors while posting a .977 fielding percentage. Zimmerman committed 17 errors with a .951 fielding percentage.
Zimmerman, though, had a better case through advanced fielding metrics. He bested Rolen in Ultimate Zone Rating (13.9 to 10.6) though Headley led all NL third basemen in that category with a ratingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman
- After shaky 1st inning, Zimmermann cruises
- Nationals Stock Watch: Other hot bats besides Harper
- Hershey's pitches in to help Nationals continue sweet celebrations
- Harper, Williams strongly disagree with ejections from win vs. Yankees
- Harper and Williams ejected again, Nats rally again
- Harper, Williams ejected vs. Yankees on Wednesday night