Nov 11, 2010, 8:43 PM EDT
So much for the Joe Bisenius Experiment. The Nationals secured outright waivers on the reliever, who then elected to become a free agent.
Thus ends Bisenius’ short-lived stint with the Nats. The 28-year-old right-hander, signed to a minor-league contract early in the season after a tryout with an independent team in his hometown of Sioux City, Iowa, pitched well enough at three levels of the Nationals’ farm system (posting a 3.05 ERA) to earn a September call-up.
The hard-throwing reliever, though, didn’t offer up much in five big-league appearances. He allowed six runs (five earned) and six hits in 4 2/3 innings, walking six while striking out five.
Bisenius (who had pitched the previous six years in the Phillies’ system) may have been deemed expendable because of the late-season emergence of Collin Balester, a similar hard-throwing right-hander who after fizzling out as a starter reinvented himself as a reliever and wound up posting a 1.35 ERA in 11 September appearances to put himself in the mix for a job in 2011.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy
- That time Stephen Strasburg was on Letterman
- After shaky 1st inning, Zimmermann cruises
- Nationals Stock Watch: Other hot bats besides Harper
- Hershey's pitches in to help Nationals continue sweet celebrations
- Harper, Williams strongly disagree with ejections from win vs. Yankees