Nov 11, 2010, 8:43 PM EDT
So much for the Joe Bisenius Experiment. The Nationals secured outright waivers on the reliever, who then elected to become a free agent.
Thus ends Bisenius’ short-lived stint with the Nats. The 28-year-old right-hander, signed to a minor-league contract early in the season after a tryout with an independent team in his hometown of Sioux City, Iowa, pitched well enough at three levels of the Nationals’ farm system (posting a 3.05 ERA) to earn a September call-up.
The hard-throwing reliever, though, didn’t offer up much in five big-league appearances. He allowed six runs (five earned) and six hits in 4 2/3 innings, walking six while striking out five.
Bisenius (who had pitched the previous six years in the Phillies’ system) may have been deemed expendable because of the late-season emergence of Collin Balester, a similar hard-throwing right-hander who after fizzling out as a starter reinvented himself as a reliever and wound up posting a 1.35 ERA in 11 September appearances to put himself in the mix for a job in 2011.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent