Nov 11, 2010, 12:00 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman has been lobbying the Nationals to re-sign Adam Dunn for months. That's nothing new.
But each time the Nats' No. 3 hitter talks about their now-free agent No. 4 hitter, his message seems to get stronger. And last night after participating in the club's new uniform unveiling at Nationals Park, he made his strongest plea yet to bring Dunn back in 2011 and beyond.
"We've got to get Adam," Zimmerman said when asked what he'd most like to see the Nationals do this winter. "The presence he has in this lineup, the presence he has in the clubhouse, the consistency you get out of him … if you take him out of the middle of the lineup, it's going to be hard to replace him. It's going to do a lot to our team."
Though there are a number of established first basemen on the open market — including Carlos Pena, Paul Konerko and Aubrey Huff — Zimmerman believes none are as sure of a thing as Dunn.
"You can get a guy who might have a great season, or he might hit 15 home runs and drive in 60," he said. "The thing you know with Adam is, he's going to hit close to 40 home runs, he's going to drive in closeRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles