Nov 15, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
Had voting for the National League Rookie of the Year award taken place on August 20, Stephen Strasburg might well have won.
Of course, the actual voting by members of the Baseball Writers Association of America took place right at the conclusion of the regular season, well after Strasburg had undergone Tommy John surgery. Thus, the Nats' young pitching stud fell back in the pack to a deep and talented rookie class that included Buster Posey and Jason Heyward, among others.
Way back in the pack.
The BBWAA just revealed the balloting for both the NL and AL awards. Posey, with 129 points, beat out Heyward (107) to win the NL award. Seven other players received votes: Jaime Garcia, Gaby Sanchez, Neil Walker, Starlin Castro, Ike Davis, Jose Tabata and Jonny Venters.
You'll notice Strasburg's name appears nowhere on that list. Thus, in the end, he wasn't even considered one of the top nine NL rookies this season. While I'm a little surprised at that, I'm not completely shocked. Writers only list three players per ballot, so Strasburg wouldRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview