Nov 15, 2010, 7:10 PM EDT
Had voting for the National League Rookie of the Year award taken place on August 20, Stephen Strasburg might well have won.
Of course, the actual voting by members of the Baseball Writers Association of America took place right at the conclusion of the regular season, well after Strasburg had undergone Tommy John surgery. Thus, the Nats' young pitching stud fell back in the pack to a deep and talented rookie class that included Buster Posey and Jason Heyward, among others.
Way back in the pack.
The BBWAA just revealed the balloting for both the NL and AL awards. Posey, with 129 points, beat out Heyward (107) to win the NL award. Seven other players received votes: Jaime Garcia, Gaby Sanchez, Neil Walker, Starlin Castro, Ike Davis, Jose Tabata and Jonny Venters.
You'll notice Strasburg's name appears nowhere on that list. Thus, in the end, he wasn't even considered one of the top nine NL rookies this season. While I'm a little surprised at that, I'm not completely shocked. Writers only list three players per ballot, so Strasburg wouldRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws