Nov 22, 2010, 8:10 PM EST
Joey Votto won the National League MVP award this afternoon in a landslide over Albert Pujols. Votto got a staggering 31 of 32 first-place votes by members of the Baseball Writers Association of America, with Pujols getting the other one.
Hard to complain with the line of thinking displayed by my fellow scribes. You could make a legitimate case for Pujols every single year and no one would find fault with that, but Votto really was the best player in the NL this season, having led the league in on-base percentage (.424), slugging (.600) and OPS (1.024). Throw in the fact he helped lead a Reds club to its first NL Central title in 15 years (while Pujols' Cardinals finished five games back) and there's a pretty rock-solid case for Votto.
The rest of the top 10: Carlos Gonzalez, Adrian Gonzalez, Troy Tulowitzki, Roy Halladay, Aubrey Huff, Jayson Werth, Martin Prado and Ryan Howard.
As for the Nationals … well, two players did get Top 10 votes but finished way back in the pack. Ryan Zimmerman finished 16th, with only eight of 32 voters including him on the ballot. And Adam DunnRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles