Nov 23, 2010, 2:10 PM EDT
The Nationals have signed outfielder/first baseman Jeff Frazier and shortstop Chris McConnell to minor-league contracts, according to Baseball America’s Matt Eddy.
Frazier, 28, hit .256 with 25 homers and 73 RBI last season for Toledo, the Tigers’ Class AAA affiliate. He led the International League with 73 extra-base hits and made his big-league debut in July, ultimately going 5-for-23 in nine games with Detroit.
The 6-foot-3, 195-pound, right-handed-hitting Frazier was the Tigers’ third round pick in the 2004 draft and seems destined to open 2011 on Class AAA Syracuse’s roster, with the potential for a promotion should the Nationals need another bat at some point.
McConnell, who turns 25 in December, is a talented defensive shortstop who spent the last seven seasons in the Royals’ farm system. His offensive numbers (.231 with three homers, 31 RBI and a .670 OPS last season at Class AA Northwest Arkansas) aren’t spectacular, but the 2004 ninth-round pick should help shore up the Nationals’ infield defense at either Syracuse or Class AA Harrisburg.
Frazier and McConnell join Tim Wood, a 28-year-old right-hander who appeared in 44 games for the Marlins the last two seasons, as free agents who have signed minor-league contracts with the Nationals so far this winter.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins