Nov 24, 2010, 12:59 AM EDT
Danny Espinosa will have surgery tomorrow to remove the hook of the hamate bone in his right hand, a procedure that will sideline him six weeks but gives him ample time to recover before spring training.
Espinosa had been playing winter ball in Puerto Rico, where he was hitting .281 with two homers, eight RBI, 11 extra-base hits and nine stolen bases in 22 games. According to the Nationals, his hand began bothering him last week. Doctors concluded he needed to have the hook of the hamate (which is actually an unnecessary bone near the wrist) removed.
It’s a fairly common injury and procedure, especially for the Nationals. Ryan Zimmerman, Ian Desmond and Derek Norris all underwent the same surgery in recent years, all ultimately returning to full strength.
Espinosa’s surgery will be performed by Dr. Ken Means at the Curtis National Hand Center in Baltimore.
Espinosa, 23, was one of the organization’s top-rated prospects when he made his big-league debut in September. Though he wound up hitting only .214 in 28 games, he impressed with six homers, 15 RBI and stellar defense, convincing team officials he should enter 2011 as their starting second baseman.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Aaron Barrett stares down Brandon Barnes
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury