Nov 24, 2010, 8:32 PM EDT
The Nationals outrighted right-hander Ryan Mattheus to Class AAA Syracuse today, clearing a spot on the 40-man roster in case any new players are acquired.
Mattheus, 27, missed most of 2010 while recovering from Tommy John surgery. He appeared in 10 rehab games in the Gulf Coast League and with short-season Class A Vermont late in the season, allowing one earned run over 11 1/3 innings.
The California native was acquired along with right-hander Robinson Fabian from the Rockies in the July 2009 trade that sent Joe Beimel to Colorado. He’ll be a non-roster invitee to big-league camp next spring.
The move leaves the Nationals with one open slot on their 40-man roster, clearing space in case they sign a free agent or add a player via trade.
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper leaves Nats game after feeling lightheaded
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale