Nov 24, 2010, 8:32 PM EDT
The Nationals outrighted right-hander Ryan Mattheus to Class AAA Syracuse today, clearing a spot on the 40-man roster in case any new players are acquired.
Mattheus, 27, missed most of 2010 while recovering from Tommy John surgery. He appeared in 10 rehab games in the Gulf Coast League and with short-season Class A Vermont late in the season, allowing one earned run over 11 1/3 innings.
The California native was acquired along with right-hander Robinson Fabian from the Rockies in the July 2009 trade that sent Joe Beimel to Colorado. He’ll be a non-roster invitee to big-league camp next spring.
The move leaves the Nationals with one open slot on their 40-man roster, clearing space in case they sign a free agent or add a player via trade.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip