Nov 24, 2010, 8:32 PM EDT
The Nationals outrighted right-hander Ryan Mattheus to Class AAA Syracuse today, clearing a spot on the 40-man roster in case any new players are acquired.
Mattheus, 27, missed most of 2010 while recovering from Tommy John surgery. He appeared in 10 rehab games in the Gulf Coast League and with short-season Class A Vermont late in the season, allowing one earned run over 11 1/3 innings.
The California native was acquired along with right-hander Robinson Fabian from the Rockies in the July 2009 trade that sent Joe Beimel to Colorado. He’ll be a non-roster invitee to big-league camp next spring.
The move leaves the Nationals with one open slot on their 40-man roster, clearing space in case they sign a free agent or add a player via trade.
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win