Nov 28, 2010, 8:01 PM EST
Cross Javier Vazquez off the list of possible additions to the Nationals’ rotation. The veteran right-hander came to terms today on a one-year deal with the Marlins, according to multiple reports out of Miami.
Vazquez is coming off a down year with the Yankees in which he went 10-10 with a 5.32 ERA over 157 innings. The 34-year-old, though, owns a career 152-149 record, a 4.26 ERA, nine seasons of at least 200 innings and five seasons of at least 200 strikeouts.
The former Expos ace has been a more successful pitcher in the National League (4.02 ERA in eight seasons) than the American League (4.65 ERA in five seasons) and as recently as 2009 went 15-10 with a 2.87 ERA and 238 strikeouts for the Braves.
Vazquez’s deal is believed to be worth $6 million to $7 million. The Nationals made him an offer (terms unknown) in the last two weeks. Other potential free agent targets still include Cliff Lee, Jorge De La Rosa, Brandon Webb, Carl Pavano and Kevin Millwood.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other
- Nationals' Saturday workout is a washout
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal
- Do the Nats need another left-handed bat?
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- Nats sing Happy Birthday to Denard Span, with bonus Danny Espinosa videobomb
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'
- LaRoche: Nats have transformed D.C. into a baseball city
- Matt Williams sets the tone for Nats on Day 1