Nov 28, 2010, 8:01 PM EDT
Cross Javier Vazquez off the list of possible additions to the Nationals’ rotation. The veteran right-hander came to terms today on a one-year deal with the Marlins, according to multiple reports out of Miami.
Vazquez is coming off a down year with the Yankees in which he went 10-10 with a 5.32 ERA over 157 innings. The 34-year-old, though, owns a career 152-149 record, a 4.26 ERA, nine seasons of at least 200 innings and five seasons of at least 200 strikeouts.
The former Expos ace has been a more successful pitcher in the National League (4.02 ERA in eight seasons) than the American League (4.65 ERA in five seasons) and as recently as 2009 went 15-10 with a 2.87 ERA and 238 strikeouts for the Braves.
Vazquez’s deal is believed to be worth $6 million to $7 million. The Nationals made him an offer (terms unknown) in the last two weeks. Other potential free agent targets still include Cliff Lee, Jorge De La Rosa, Brandon Webb, Carl Pavano and Kevin Millwood.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020
- Fernandez remains perfect in Miami, Marlins top Nats 4-1
- Tyler Clippard says chasing down the 'beatable' Nats will be 'a lot of fun'
- Nationals acquire Jonathan Papelbon for minor leaguer
- Werth, Zimmerman activated off DL
- Watching baseball with Obama
- Report: Nats 'making progress' in trade for All-Star closer
- Around the NL East: Are Mets moves enough to catch Nats?