Nov 30, 2010, 3:38 PM EDT
Photo courtesy Bill Scheuerman
The Nats face a tough decision with Chien-Ming Wang, who never pitched in 2010.
As everyone agonizes over another free agent pitcher coming off the market — Jorge de la Rosa has re-signed with the Rockies for perhaps as much as three years and $32 million — and awaits confirmation that Adam Dunn is turning down the Nationals' offer of arbitration — nothing more than a formality, really — let's turn our attention to another event that takes place around baseball this week: The non-tender deadline.
By Thursday night, all MLB clubs must tender contract offers to all players not yet signed for 2011 but still under team control. For the most part, this applies to anyone with less than six years of big-league service time, unless the player has already signed a long-term deal (like Ryan Zimmerman, Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper).
The majority of these decisions are simple, especially when it comes to players with less than three years of service time who still make close to the league minimum salary. The tougher decisions tend to come with players who have more than three years but less than six years of service time: the arbitration-eligible players, who tend to earn sizable raises through that process.
The Nationals have eight arbitration-eligible players this winter: Josh Willingham, Sean Burnett, Jesus Flores, Wil Nieves, John Lannan, Michael Morse, Alberto Gonzalez and Chien-Ming Wang. By Thursday night, the club must tender their contracts (essentially saying they'reRead more »
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Is this a preview of Nats' Opening Day lineup?
- Rendon will begin season on DL with sprained MCL
- Frandsen released, Gwynn Jr. sent to minors
- Johnson, den Dekker adjust quickly to Nats
- Blevins' awkward 24 hours ends with K of Harper
- Werth crosses big hurdle in shoulder rehab
- Nats face Mets in final Viera game of the spring
- PHOTO: New Mets pitcher faces Nats one day after they traded him
- Rendon seeking 3rd opinion on injured knee
- Mark Zuckerman joins STL to talk about Nats' injury problems