Dec 1, 2010, 9:12 PM EDT
Nearly one month into the offseason, the market for free agent Adam Dunn remains unclear. The Nationals have had a three-year offer on the table since midsummer, but Dunn has been seeking a four-year deal. To date, no club has acknowledged making a four-year offer to the 31-year-old slugger.
Complicating matters is Dunn’s stated desire not to be a designated hitter at this stage of his career. Most American League general managers view him as a below-average first baseman and left fielder and would sign him only if he served primarily as a DH.
After a quiet November, the Dunn Derby may be about to get into full swing. According to the San Francisco Chronicle, the Athletics met with Dunn at his Houston home yesterday, throwing their name into the mix. (UPDATE AT 4:34 P.M. — The Chronicle now says that report was false and the A’s did not meet with Dunn yesterday.) Several more clubs figure to speak to Dunn’s agent, Greg Genske, at next week’s Winter Meetings in Orlando.
Which teams are legitimately suitors for Dunn, and which ones don’t really make sense? Read my article at CSNwashington.com to find out.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals defeat Mets in triumphant return home
- Updated: Span leaves Tuesday's game with injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff