Dec 2, 2010, 10:09 PM EDT
Nationals fans (and players) who pleaded with club management to bring back Adam Dunn in 2011 won’t get their Christmas wish. The free agent first baseman has agreed to a four-year, $56 million contract with the White Sox, according to a source familiar with the deal.
The contract won’t be official until Dunn passes a physical tomorrow, but he’s effectively a member of the White Sox, a club that made a strong push to acquire him before the July 31 trade deadline but couldn’t pull off a deal with Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo.
Because the Nats offered Dunn (a Type A free agent) arbitration last week, they’ll be compensated with two 2011 draft picks. They’ll get Chicago’s first-round pick (23rd overall) as well as a “sandwich” pick between the first and second rounds.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return