Dec 2, 2010, 4:20 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats' offseason needs would look a lot different if Stephen Strasburg was healthy.
It seems as though the Nationals' 2010-11 offseason ultimately will be judged on two issues: Did they re-sign Adam Dunn (or at least acquire someone else of equal or greater value), and did they acquire a front-line pitcher to anchor a shaky starting rotation?
We've addressed the Dunn issue plenty, and I'm sure we'll be addressing it more in the weeks to come. And we've addressed the pitching issue, though it occurs to me there's another angle to this whole thing that hasn't been addressed head-on.
We wouldn't be having this conversation if Stephen Strasburg was healthy and prepared to start on Opening Day 2011.
Your first reaction to that statement might be, "Well, duh," but it's worth pointing out. The impact of Strasburg's torn elbow ligament cannot be understated.
Put a healthy Strasburg in the Nationals' 2011 rotation, and here's what you've got: 1) Strasburg, 2) Jordan Zimmermann, 3) Livan Hernandez, 4) John Lannan, 5) Jason Marquis. And you've still got Yunesky Maya, Ross Detwiler and a bunch of others trying to squeezeRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ramos comes through with go-ahead hit against D'Backs
- Ramos' late heroics help Nats top D-Backs, snap losing streak
- Papelbon debuts Ric Flair intro song at Nats Park
- Strasburg feels good after 2nd rehab start
- Mets surge in division; struggle with grammar
- Former SNL star roasts Nats in Half Baked video
- Around the NL East: It's official -- The Mets are here to stay
- Now in 2nd place, Nats not scoreboard watching yet
- Fister's struggles continue, as Strasburg nears return
- Struggling Nats out of 1st place in NL East