Dec 5, 2010, 10:12 PM EST
ORLANDO — Boy, did I pick the wrong time to be on an airplane.
I just landed in Orlando, turned on my BlackBerry and was greeted with a flood of emails, including a formal press release from the Nationals announcing they've signed outfielder Jayson Werth to a seven-year contract.
Obviously, more to come…
UPDATE AT 5:41 P.M. — The contract is for a staggering seven years and $126 million, far and away the largest deal in Nationals or Expos history. Werth, who will turn 32 in May, is now signed with Washington through the 2017 season.
He hit .296 with 27 homers, 85 RBI and a league-leading 46 doubles last season with the Phillies and drew interest from some of the biggest spenders in baseball, including the Red Sox and Tigers. Those teams, though, weren't willing to offer more than a five-year deal. The Nats, clearly, blew those offers out of the water.
As for Werth's position on the field, it sounds like he'll be penciled in for right field. He's considered a strong defensive outfielder and has even played 104 games in center field in his career. For the moment,
Read more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- David Price breaks Max Scherzer's record with contract
- With Zimmermann gone, what happens to Nats rotation?
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers