Dec 6, 2010, 5:55 PM EST
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Some lunchtime tidbits for you from the Winter Meetings…
– The Jayson Werth signing continues to be the biggest topic of discussion here at the Swan and Dolphin Resort. I stopped counting how many people have approached me so far today and before saying anything else asked me something along the lines of: "What the #$%^ are the Nationals doing?" There's definitely a feeling among executives from other clubs that this is going to have major ramifications on the rest of the baseball world, and not in a good way. The price on a bunch of other guys has gone up considerably, starting with Carl Crawford. One exec I talked to also said he thinks the Adrian Gonzalez-to-Boston trade was temporarily killed yesterday as a direct result of the Werth contract.
– The Nationals, as I suggested earlier this morning, are most certainly not finished. The consensus around here is that they wouldn't have done the Werth deal if they weren't also planning more significant moves. There's definitely some chatter here about Josh Willingham, and there are definitely teams interested in the outfielder. I think any trade the Nationals pull off that lands a pitcher would almost have to include Willingham as part of the package.
– Carlos Pena and Adam LaRoche continue to be the two most likely targets at first base, but it's also not out of the question that the Nats could acquire a replacement there via trade. One name to keepRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions
- Zimmermann's gift to Souza for no-hitter catch revealed
- Report: LaRoche has $20M deal on table from Marlins
- Mets set plan for Harvey with Strasburg in mind
- Point/Counterpoint: Will Nats regret Zim's contract?
- Report: Marlins showing strong interest in LaRoche
- Nats minor league coordinator Beasley leaves for Rangers
- Former Nats RP Duke gets paid after career turnaround
- Braves to meet with top free agent Jon Lester