Dec 6, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — As the shock of the Jayson Werth signing begins to wear off, plenty of thoughts come to mind. Here's what I was pondering last night, presented in bullet-by-bullet form for your early morning consideration while I make my way to the Disney Swan and Dolphin Resort for the official start of the Winter Meetings (despite what yesterday's events suggested)…
– The Nationals are by no means done adding to their 2011 roster. I am completely convinced of that. The Werth contract would make zero sense as a stand-alone move. He's not the kind of player who can lift a last-place club all by himself and carry it on his back to the precipice of contention. I really believe this is just the first of several big moves to come from Mike Rizzo and Co. "We're not finished," Rizzo said yesterday. "We understand that we've got holes to fill. We're going to be aggressive and do what we can to address those. … As we've shown here, when there's a player that we target, that really fits what we're trying to do, we're going to go after him and acquire him."
– What else should we expect? Let's start at first base, which remains vacated since Adam Dunn's departure. I don't see the Nats moving Josh Willingham or Michael Morse in from the outfield. Rizzo clearly wants an above-average defensive player, and he almost certainly wants a left-handed bat to break up what is suddenly a really right-Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays