Dec 6, 2010, 10:28 PM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Mike Rizzo wrapped up his daily media session a little while ago. Here are some of the highlights from the Nationals' GM…
Responding to the negative reaction around baseball to the Jayson Werth contract: "There's no negative reaction from me. I'm satisfied with the deal. I'm glad we got Jayson Werth. I can understand some of the comments. We're taking care of ourselves. We're trying to build something special here. We thought this player exemplified what we were trying to do. I don't apologize for signing Jayson Werth. I'm glad we have him in the fold. We're a better ballclub today than we were yesterday."
On what happens once Bryce Harper is ready to take over in right field: "There's plenty of outfield spots for Bryce Harper to play and Jayson Werth. The good thing about Jayson is he does have versatility. Certainly, at the beginning of this contract, he can play center field if we need him to. And Bryce Harper, his athletic ability, he can play anywhere on the field, also. Down the road, we hope we have that problem in the very near future, where we have to decide where Bryce Harper is going to move Jayson Werth to. We'll be better for it."
Could Werth wind up at first base way down the road? "I'll put it this way: I see Jayson Werth towards the end of this contract being able to play one of the corner outfield positions. He's a terrific athlete. Keeps himself in great physical condition. From some of the leftRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts