Dec 7, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — As Day 2 of the Winter Meetings gets underway, here are some Tuesday morning goodies to munch on with your breakfast…
— If the Nationals truly are serious about making their second gargantuan splash of the offseason by signing Cliff Lee, they may need only to inform the left-hander they're willing to give him a seven-year contract. Foxsports.com's Ken Rosenthal reported last night that at least one big-league club is willing to offer Lee a seven-year deal. And the Yankees, he reported, are not that club. This may all just be posturing on the part of agent Darek Braunecker, who told reporters yesterday that the Nationals are by no means out of the running for Lee. It's entirely possible Braunecker is using the Nats as leverage to try to convince the Yankees, Rangers or someone else to up the ante. But as we saw on Sunday with Jayson Werth, the notion of the Nationals blowing the rest of the competition out of the water with a massive contract offer is not out of the question. Does that mean there's a realistic chance Lee ends up in D.C.? I still don't think so. But if the Nats want to find out for sure whether the best pitcher on the market is willing to join them, they may need merely to make the kind of outrageous offer that already landed Werth this week.
— That said, I still believe the Nationals' best hope of acquiring a front-line starting pitcher is via trade. It would cost a bundle (multiple players from a variety of positions) but Mike Rizzo suggestedRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes
- Strasburg rocked again during ugly 8-1 loss to Phillies
- Roark ready for Monday start in Chicago
- Strasburg tries to keep Nats rolling vs. Phillies
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates