Dec 7, 2010, 8:45 PM EDT
Updated at 4:50 p.m.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — How serious are the Nationals about attempting to lure Cliff Lee to D.C.? Enough to meet in person with the pitcher's agent for the second time this week at the Winter Meetings.
General manager Mike Rizzo met with agent Darek Braunecker this afternoon at the Swan and Dolphin Resort, according to major-league sources familiar with the meeting.
Rizzo, while confirming his strong interest in acquiring Lee, doesn't sound particular confident he'll actually land the prized left-hander.
"I still think we're a real long shot to acquire the player," he said.
It's not known if the Nationals have made a formal offer yet for Lee, who is seeking a mammoth contract that could reach seven years. The Nationals, according to multiple club sources, are adamant that they won't make a seven-year offer to the 32-year-old Lee.
The Nationals, though, haven't disguised their legitimate interest in Lee, far and away the top pitcher on the market. And they've shown a willingness in the past to outbid other clubs for top-tier free agents,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Palm Beach approves funding for Nats spring complex
- Williams named top NL manager by peers
- Nationals roster report: Adam LaRoche
- Marlins' McGehee wins NL Comeback Player of the Year
- Previewing and predicting the 2014 World Series
- Nationals roster report: Ian Desmond
- Phillies coach admits Howard may be better off in AL
- Nationals roster report: Asdrubal Cabrera
- Important dates to keep in mind for Nats' offseason
- Nationals roster report: Anthony Rendon