Dec 7, 2010, 5:31 PM EST
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The Nationals are seriously interested in signing Cliff Lee. Just not serious enough to give the prized free agent pitcher a seven-year contract.
While the Nationals will likely make a formal contract offer to Lee in the coming days, club sources said they will not include a seventh year in that offer, despite speculation around Disney’s Swan and Dolphin Resort this morning to the contrary.
The Nationals’ interest in Lee has never waned. He’s been atop their wish list of potential pitching acquisitions this winter. But general manager Mike Rizzo has felt along his team faced long odds to land the 32-year-old lefty, who is also being heavily courted by the Yankees as well as the Rangers club he helped lead to the World Series in October.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Jordan Zimmermann introduced by Detroit Tigers
- Report: Marlins could hire Barry Bonds to coaching staff
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles