Dec 7, 2010, 5:31 PM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The Nationals are seriously interested in signing Cliff Lee. Just not serious enough to give the prized free agent pitcher a seven-year contract.
While the Nationals will likely make a formal contract offer to Lee in the coming days, club sources said they will not include a seventh year in that offer, despite speculation around Disney’s Swan and Dolphin Resort this morning to the contrary.
The Nationals’ interest in Lee has never waned. He’s been atop their wish list of potential pitching acquisitions this winter. But general manager Mike Rizzo has felt along his team faced long odds to land the 32-year-old lefty, who is also being heavily courted by the Yankees as well as the Rangers club he helped lead to the World Series in October.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes
- Strasburg rocked again during ugly 8-1 loss to Phillies
- Roark ready for Monday start in Chicago
- Strasburg tries to keep Nats rolling vs. Phillies
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates