Dec 8, 2010, 8:57 PM EST
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — If you were hoping for an imminent resolution to the Cliff Lee saga, you’re not going to get it.
Darek Braunecker, the free agent left-hander’s agent, left the Winter Meetings this afternoon with no deal in place for his client. The odds of a contract coming together before this event wraps up tomorrow seem remote at best.
Braunecker met with several clubs in person, including the Nationals twice, this week at the Disney Swan and Dolphin Resort. The Yankees, Rangers, Angels and perhaps another team or two spoke with Braunecker, who is seeking a mammoth contract for the 32-year-old hurler.
Despite several reports of at least one club offering Braunecker a seven-year deal — and speculation the Nationals could be that club — Nats executives have adamantly denied it. GM Mike Rizzo is seriously interested in Lee and will make (if he hasn’t already) a competitive offer, but it won’t be for seven years.
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos