Dec 8, 2010, 8:57 PM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — If you were hoping for an imminent resolution to the Cliff Lee saga, you’re not going to get it.
Darek Braunecker, the free agent left-hander’s agent, left the Winter Meetings this afternoon with no deal in place for his client. The odds of a contract coming together before this event wraps up tomorrow seem remote at best.
Braunecker met with several clubs in person, including the Nationals twice, this week at the Disney Swan and Dolphin Resort. The Yankees, Rangers, Angels and perhaps another team or two spoke with Braunecker, who is seeking a mammoth contract for the 32-year-old hurler.
Despite several reports of at least one club offering Braunecker a seven-year deal — and speculation the Nationals could be that club — Nats executives have adamantly denied it. GM Mike Rizzo is seriously interested in Lee and will make (if he hasn’t already) a competitive offer, but it won’t be for seven years.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates
- Roark will return to Nats' rotation with Fister out
- Scherzer tries to beat Phillies again
- Nats activate Janssen to make 2015 debut, send Solis to DL
- MLB Power Rankings: Marlins falling, Phillies rising
- Where the Nats stand at the quarter pole
- Mark Zuckerman gives his take on Harper, Williams ejections
- Harper stories from his college teammate, Chasen Shreve
- Scherzer on his start, chocolate sauce & Harper-Miggy