Dec 8, 2010, 1:11 PM EDT
Updated at 10:10 a.m.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The Cubs came to terms with Carlos Pena on a one-year contract early this morning, taking one of the Nationals' top first base targets off the market and putting pressure on them to now sign Adam LaRoche.
Pena, whose name had been linked to the Nationals since last summer, will get a one-year, $10 million contract from Chicago, which is banking on the 32-year-old rebounding from a decidedly down season in which he hit just .196 with 28 homers for the Rays. The deal is still contingent upon Pena passing a physical.
Since allowing Adam Dunn to leave for a four-year, $56 million deal with the White Sox, the Nationals have been in search of a replacement at first base. They prefer a left-handed hitter with strong defensive skills, someone who could break up a suddenly right-handed heavy lineup of Ryan Zimmerman, Jayson Werth and Josh Willingham.
Pena and LaRoche best fit that bill, so the Nats will now make a strong push to sign LaRoche. The 31-year-old has been a fairly consistent player during his seven-season career and has hit 25Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent
- Braves hire new hitting coach away from Blue Jays