Dec 8, 2010, 11:25 PM EST
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Mike Rizzo's just-completed media session featured questions and answers on the pursuit of a first baseman, the status of the search for a front-line pitcher, thoughts on the possibility of signing either Chien-Ming Wang or Brandon Webb (or even both right-handers) and even a little bit about Michael Morse's projected role.
Here's the transcript…
On losing out on Carlos Pena to the Cubs: "He was just one of many options that we were thinking of. I know our name was attached to him quite a bit, but he was just one of many guys we were thinking."
Are you looking for a long-term or a stop-gap solution at first base? "We'll explore both options. There's planning ahead that can take into account both kinds of players. It expands our pool a little bit more."
With a lot of first basemen off the table now, do you feel like you need to resolve this soon? "I don't want to ever feel rushed to do a deal. When you feel rushed to do a deal, you make a deal that you may not have wanted to do. We're going to look at all our options, and we feel that there's still a lot of good options out there. We'll see where it takes us."
Do you have a sense what the timetable for Cliff Lee to make a decision is? "I don't really know where he's at in regards to getting a deal done soon. It wouldn't surprise me if it went beyond the
Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nate McLouth gives Nats depth & insurance
- Nats still have things to do at Winter Meetings
- Napoli, Red Sox agree on 2-year, $32M deal
- Nats 1B Adam LaRoche to join USO Holiday Tour
- Carlos Beltran, Yankees agree at $45M, 3 years
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal
- Point/Counterpoint: How good will Fister be?
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'