Dec 8, 2010, 11:25 PM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Mike Rizzo's just-completed media session featured questions and answers on the pursuit of a first baseman, the status of the search for a front-line pitcher, thoughts on the possibility of signing either Chien-Ming Wang or Brandon Webb (or even both right-handers) and even a little bit about Michael Morse's projected role.
Here's the transcript…
On losing out on Carlos Pena to the Cubs: "He was just one of many options that we were thinking of. I know our name was attached to him quite a bit, but he was just one of many guys we were thinking."
Are you looking for a long-term or a stop-gap solution at first base? "We'll explore both options. There's planning ahead that can take into account both kinds of players. It expands our pool a little bit more."
With a lot of first basemen off the table now, do you feel like you need to resolve this soon? "I don't want to ever feel rushed to do a deal. When you feel rushed to do a deal, you make a deal that you may not have wanted to do. We're going to look at all our options, and we feel that there's still a lot of good options out there. We'll see where it takes us."
Do you have a sense what the timetable for Cliff Lee to make a decision is? "I don't really know where he's at in regards to getting a deal done soon. It wouldn't surprise me if it went beyond the
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury
- Nats overcome rough start, win 7-4
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins