Dec 8, 2010, 11:25 PM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Mike Rizzo's just-completed media session featured questions and answers on the pursuit of a first baseman, the status of the search for a front-line pitcher, thoughts on the possibility of signing either Chien-Ming Wang or Brandon Webb (or even both right-handers) and even a little bit about Michael Morse's projected role.
Here's the transcript…
On losing out on Carlos Pena to the Cubs: "He was just one of many options that we were thinking of. I know our name was attached to him quite a bit, but he was just one of many guys we were thinking."
Are you looking for a long-term or a stop-gap solution at first base? "We'll explore both options. There's planning ahead that can take into account both kinds of players. It expands our pool a little bit more."
With a lot of first basemen off the table now, do you feel like you need to resolve this soon? "I don't want to ever feel rushed to do a deal. When you feel rushed to do a deal, you make a deal that you may not have wanted to do. We're going to look at all our options, and we feel that there's still a lot of good options out there. We'll see where it takes us."
Do you have a sense what the timetable for Cliff Lee to make a decision is? "I don't really know where he's at in regards to getting a deal done soon. It wouldn't surprise me if it went beyond the
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes
- Strasburg rocked again during ugly 8-1 loss to Phillies
- Roark ready for Monday start in Chicago
- Strasburg tries to keep Nats rolling vs. Phillies
- Pitch, hit and run: Scherzer does it all in win
- Nats 2, Phillies 1: Harper homers, Scherzer dominates