Dec 9, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — For those who didn't hear the news last night, Nationals hitting coach Rick Eckstein did an incredibly courageous thing: He donated one of his kidneys to his older brother Ken.
The procedure was performed yesterday, and according to the Nats, both Rick and Ken Eckstein are doing well.
This is the second transplant Ken Eckstein, who suffers from kidney disease, has received in his lifetime. The disease runs in the family, with the Eckstein's father and two sisters also having received transplants.
Rick Eckstein expects to be in the hospital for a couple of days before getting back to work. He has an elaborate coaching setup at his Orlando home, including a vast collection of video clips of decades worth of ballplayers' swings, and invites members of the Nationals to work with him throughout the offseason. He should be 100 percent recovered for the start of spring training.
In other news as we prepare for this morning's Rule 5 draft (which begins at 9 a.m.)…
– Carl Crawford signed with the Red Sox late last night, agreeing to a seven-year, $142 million contract. No word whether the dynamicRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ranking all 30 MLB ballparks
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Aaron Barrett stares down Brandon Barnes
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury