Dec 9, 2010, 12:55 AM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The Nationals made the biggest splash of the offseason (the $126 million Jayson Werth signing) before many MLB executives had even arrived for the start of the Winter Meetings.
In the 72 hours since that blockbuster move, though, the Nationals’ roster has remained unchanged. Despite plenty of talks with a host of agents and other team officials, they haven’t been able to acquire the pitcher, first baseman or other role players they still covet.
Mike Rizzo isn’t worried. Even if he leaves the Disney Swan and Dolphin Resort tomorrow morning without any more acquisitions, the Nats GM believes the work done here will lead to something in the weeks to come.
“I don’t want to put a time frame on a deal, because it doesn’t really matter to me when it gets done,” Rizzo said this afternoon. “You lay a lot of foundations here in trades and talks with agents about free agents. You never want to put yourself into a time crunch, because you never know when the deal will come.”
Read my full story — with an update on the pursuits of Cliff Lee and Adam LaRoche — on CSNwashington.com.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws