Dec 9, 2010, 12:55 AM EDT
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — The Nationals made the biggest splash of the offseason (the $126 million Jayson Werth signing) before many MLB executives had even arrived for the start of the Winter Meetings.
In the 72 hours since that blockbuster move, though, the Nationals’ roster has remained unchanged. Despite plenty of talks with a host of agents and other team officials, they haven’t been able to acquire the pitcher, first baseman or other role players they still covet.
Mike Rizzo isn’t worried. Even if he leaves the Disney Swan and Dolphin Resort tomorrow morning without any more acquisitions, the Nats GM believes the work done here will lead to something in the weeks to come.
“I don’t want to put a time frame on a deal, because it doesn’t really matter to me when it gets done,” Rizzo said this afternoon. “You lay a lot of foundations here in trades and talks with agents about free agents. You never want to put yourself into a time crunch, because you never know when the deal will come.”
Read my full story — with an update on the pursuits of Cliff Lee and Adam LaRoche — on CSNwashington.com.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend