Dec 13, 2010, 4:21 PM EDT
Photo capture of MASN broadcast
Adam Dunn's misspelled jersey qualified as a truly embarrassing moment.
Watching the final moments of yesterday's Redskins game — I presume there's no one out there who hasn't seen it — I couldn't help but think about all the embarrassing moments that franchise has experienced in the last decade or so.
The list is epic, ranging from Dan Turk's botched snap in the 1999 playoffs, to Marty Schottenheimer beginning his lone season as coach 0-5, to Steve Spurrier's "5 and 11, not very good" team in 2003, to Joe Gibbs getting penalized for calling two consecutive timeouts, to Jim Zorn calling for two consecutive fake field goals, to Albert Haynesworth getting suspended for four games, to yesterday's trainwreck of an extra-point attempt.
I also couldn't help but think of a handful of embarrassing moments in Nationals history, though I'm not sure any one moment tops yesterday's follies at FedEx Field. Off the top of my head, here are my candidates for "Most Embarrassing Moment in Nationals History." I'm not talking about the most crushing losses or the most lopsided games. I'm talking about legitimately embarrassing moments after which all you could do was pick your jaw up off the floor, shake your head and perhaps even chuckle a bit at your team's misfortune.
Here's what I came up with…
CRISTIAN GUZMAN'S MUDDY BALL ERROR
April 21, 2005
The Nationals led the Braves 1-0 at RFK Stadium, where a steady rain had turned the infield into a mess. The umpiring crew decided to try to finish this one without calling for the tarp. Chad Cordero, as onlyRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span plays three innings for Hagerstown in second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend
- Nats call up Xavier Cedeno, send Blake Treinen to Syracuse
- Nationals need a bounce-back vs. Cardinals
- Errors cost Nationals in ugly loss to Cardinals
- The Baseball Show: How can Strasburg turn it around?
- Bryce Harper travels through time in new ad (VIDEO)
- Williams faces first real test as Nationals manager