Dec 15, 2010, 7:51 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jayson Werth donned a Nats cap and jersey today for the first time.
Jayson Werth's introductory press conference (along with several follow-up, smaller sessions with reporters talking to Werth, Mike Rizzo, Jim Riggleman and others) has concluded. I'm going back through the tape right now and will be updating this with some of the highlights from all of the interested parties.
Here we go…
Q: What intrigued you about Washington, and how do you expect to help this team win?
"One thing I saw with the Nationals the past few years playing them is just the grittiness they have, a will to win. Although they've had some rough seasons the past few years, they have some talent. It's very young and unpolished. That's one thing I look forward to helping along the way. I've always been a big fan of the underdog, and I think this situation in Washington is one going forward that the city and fans will come with love for us and come out and see us on a nightly basis."
Q: Do you feel any undue pressure signing such a long-term contract, one of the largest in MLB history?
"Any time you go on the field and you play for a team, there's going to be pressure. I'm coming to this team and this city to get involved with something much greater than what what you've seen here before. The Lerners are on board, Mike's on board, Jim's on board. We're all going in the same direction. I don't foresee any undue pressure. I just want
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Some good, some really ugly in Nats loss
- Cubs' farm team trolls Nats, Wizards after walk-off win
- Nationals lose tough one on walk-off vs. Cubs
- Bryce Harper still doesn't think he's MLB's best
- Nats go for 2 in a row at Wrigley
- Marlins players fail to show up at charity event
- Cubs manager Joe Maddon doesn't get criticism of Bryce Harper
- The Baseball Show: Time to sign Harper to an extension?
- Mets Matt Harvey may be dealing with 'dead arm'
- As Nationals soar, so does dominant Storen