Dec 16, 2010, 4:48 PM EST
The Nationals have a right fielder (one who will cost them $126 million over the next seven years). They've got one of the best third basemen in the game. They've got a pair of young middle infielders who can grow together.
The Nats have both a veteran and two young catchers who can share the workload behind the plate. They've got a solid left fielder who could be traded (but a couple of backup options in case that happens). And they've got a center fielder who is going to get a chance to prove last year was an anomaly.
So what's still missing from this puzzle? Oh yeah, a first baseman.
Plain and simple, the Nationals don't have one. (For those still clamoring for Michael Morse, general manager Mike Rizzo made it clear once again yesterday that everyone's favorite part-time player is still "a backup plan" in case another first baseman isn't acquired.) Which means Rizzo essentially has three remaining options: Sign either Adam LaRoche or Derrek Lee or attempt to trade for a first baseman.
Let's deal with the last scenario first. A trade seems increasingly unlikely, based on the way Rizzo was talking yesterday following the Jayson Werth press conference. For one thing, trades cost players in return, and the Nats aren't really looking to fill one roster hole byRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos