Dec 16, 2010, 7:00 PM EST
Updated at 4:03 p.m.
The Nationals have finalized a trade that will send left fielder Josh Willingham to the Athletics for reliever Henry Rodriguez and minor-league outfielder Corey Brown, both teams formally announced late this afternoon.
Willingham, who hit .268 with 16 homers and 56 RBI in 114 games this season before undergoing knee surgery in August, was due to become a free agent at the end of the 2011 season, and the Nationals had not shown interest in re-signing him to an extension. Several teams inquired about the 31-year-old's availability at last week's Winter Meetings in Orlando, including the A's and Red Sox.
As currently constructed, the Nationals will likely use a combination of Roger Bernadina and Michael Morse in left field. Team officials have long believed Bernadina, who hit .246 with 11 homers and 47 RBI in 134 games as a rookie, is best suited defensively to play left field. Morse, who hit .289 with 15 homers and 41 RBI in 98 games, couldRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Phillies may target Cabrera to replace Rollins
- USO tour was "life-changing" for Nats' Fister
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats