Dec 16, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
Updated at 4:03 p.m.
The Nationals have finalized a trade that will send left fielder Josh Willingham to the Athletics for reliever Henry Rodriguez and minor-league outfielder Corey Brown, both teams formally announced late this afternoon.
Willingham, who hit .268 with 16 homers and 56 RBI in 114 games this season before undergoing knee surgery in August, was due to become a free agent at the end of the 2011 season, and the Nationals had not shown interest in re-signing him to an extension. Several teams inquired about the 31-year-old's availability at last week's Winter Meetings in Orlando, including the A's and Red Sox.
As currently constructed, the Nationals will likely use a combination of Roger Bernadina and Michael Morse in left field. Team officials have long believed Bernadina, who hit .246 with 11 homers and 47 RBI in 134 games as a rookie, is best suited defensively to play left field. Morse, who hit .289 with 15 homers and 41 RBI in 98 games, couldRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann still trying to find groove
- Embattled Desmond: "I'm gonna get through it"
- Span likely to make season debut Sunday
- Phillies 5, Nats 3: Desmond's woes open door for Phillies
- Nats waiting for MRI on Escobar's groin strain
- Zimmermann tries to lead Nats to 4th straight W
- Impressive Scherzer giving Nats lots of innings
- Nats 7, Phillies 2: Harper homers, Scherzer cruises
- Escobar leaves Nats game with strained groin
- Stammen on season-ending surgery: "Bring it on"