Dec 17, 2010, 1:44 AM EST
Photo courtesy Bill Scheuermann
Chien-Ming Wang returns after appearing in two Florida instructional league games.
Chien-Ming Wang made $2 million from the Nationals last year without ever appearing in a game. The Nats are willing to give the Taiwanese right-hander another $1 million to make another attempt to return in 2011.
The Nationals re-signed Wang this evening to a one-year contract. He'll earn $1 million in base salary, with incentives that could bump the total value of the deal up to $5 million based on the number of starts he makes next season.
It's a similar contract to the one the Nats gave Wang in February, when they hoped the former 19-game winner with the Yankees would rediscover his past form following major shoulder surgery.
Wang, though, never did make it all the way back from his July 2009 procedure. He remained at the team's spring training facility in Viera all summer on a slow rehab program which finally culminated with a pair of one-inning appearances in the Florida instructional league this fall.
The Nationals saw enough out of Wang in those two appearances to take another shot on him, though first they non-tendered him in November to avoid having to go through an arbitration process thatRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Giolito & Turner, Nats' farm system ranked highly by Baseball America
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen