Dec 17, 2010, 1:44 AM EDT
Photo courtesy Bill Scheuermann
Chien-Ming Wang returns after appearing in two Florida instructional league games.
Chien-Ming Wang made $2 million from the Nationals last year without ever appearing in a game. The Nats are willing to give the Taiwanese right-hander another $1 million to make another attempt to return in 2011.
The Nationals re-signed Wang this evening to a one-year contract. He'll earn $1 million in base salary, with incentives that could bump the total value of the deal up to $5 million based on the number of starts he makes next season.
It's a similar contract to the one the Nats gave Wang in February, when they hoped the former 19-game winner with the Yankees would rediscover his past form following major shoulder surgery.
Wang, though, never did make it all the way back from his July 2009 procedure. He remained at the team's spring training facility in Viera all summer on a slow rehab program which finally culminated with a pair of one-inning appearances in the Florida instructional league this fall.
The Nationals saw enough out of Wang in those two appearances to take another shot on him, though first they non-tendered him in November to avoid having to go through an arbitration process thatRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September
- Nationals open big series in Los Angeles