Dec 19, 2010, 4:21 PM EDT
Zack Greinke is now a Brewer, though perhaps only after coming very close to becoming a National.
The Royals agreed this morning to trade their ace right-hander (plus shortstop Yuniesky Betancourt and $2 million) to Milwaukee for four players: center fielder Lorenzo Cain, shortstop Alcides Escobar, right-hander Jake Odorizzi and a pitcher-to-be-named (believed to be Jeremy Jeffress). That ends months of speculation about Greinke trade rumors, and whether the Nationals could find a way to land the 27-year-old former Cy Young Award winner.
The Nats most certainly made a legitimate effort to acquire Greinke. And, according to SI.com's Jon Heyman, they were even close to striking a deal that would have sent Drew Storen, Danny Espinosa and others to Kansas City. Greinke, though, vetoed that potential deal, as was his right since the Nationals were one of 15 clubs in his no-trade clause.
That, of course, was a major reason why Greinke-to-D.C. was always a long shot. After seven seasons toiling away for a Royals club that surpassed 70 wins only once, Greinke wanted a chance to contend now. Whether Milwaukee has the talent now to overtake the Reds and Cardinals in the NL Central remains to be seen. But the Brewers have a better chance of winning in 2011 and 2012 than the Nationals, at least in Greinke's mind, so that's why he'll be wearing blue and gold onRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win