Dec 20, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg just held a brief conference call with beat writers to update everyone on his rehab from Tommy John surgery. No major news to report here; he's basically right on schedule with things.
Strasburg continues to go through plenty of strength and conditioning workouts, with an emphasis on building up his shoulder so as not to overcompensate as he returns from the elbow injury. He's scheduled to be examined by orthopedist Lewis Yocum (who performed the surgery on September 3) shortly after Christmas. Assuming he gets the green light from Yocum, Strasburg hopes to begin throwing for the first time sometime in late January at his home in San Diego. He will then report to spring training in Viera, Fla., with all the other pitchers and catchers in mid-February.
Here are some of the highlights from Strasburg's conference call…
Q: How is the rehab going and do you know when you'll be able to start throwing?
"It's going great right now. I've been making big strides with just total body strength. I'm going to go see [Dr.] Yocum right after the Christmas holiday, and he should give me a better indication of when I'm allowed to start throwing. I'm a little out of three months from surgery. Everything feels great. I'm just waiting for them to tell me
Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort