Dec 21, 2010, 3:49 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jayson Werth got a huge contract, but he's only making $10 million in 2011.
The Nationals front office has stated pretty clearly for several months that now is the time to start adding high-priced acquisitions, whether via free agency or trades. The organization is willing and able to increase payroll, and already this winter we've seen the Nats sign Jayson Werth to the 14th-largest contract in baseball history while making legitimate offers to either sign or trade for high-salary pitchers like Cliff Lee and Zack Greinke.
There's no questioning the Lerner family's willingness to spend money on players this offseason. That doesn't, however, mean they actually will spend more money on players in 2011 than they have in the past.
In fact, it's entirely possible the Nationals' Opening Day payroll in 2011 won't surpass last year's $66.2 million total and actually could come up short of it.
How is that possible? Let's look at a few reasons how…
1) Though the total value of Werth's seven-year contract is a staggering $126 million, his 2011 salary is a relatively meager $10 million. Werth's salary doesn't reach the $20 million figure until 2014.Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Saturday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Saturday's games
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats favorites in National League? (VIDEO)
- Nats rolling and about to become complete
- Fister, Nats do enough right to get by Marlins
- Zimmerman rejoining Nats, likely to play Saturday