Dec 22, 2010, 12:39 AM EDT
The Nationals have designated left-hander Matt Chico for assignment, clearing one spot on their 40-man roster needed after last week's signing of Chien-Ming Wang.
Chico, who pitched in one big-league game this year, has seven days to either clear waivers and be outrighted to Class AAA Syracuse, be traded to another club or released.
The 27-year-old went 7-9 with a 4.63 ERA as a rookie in 2007, leading the Nationals' pitching staff with 31 starts and 167 innings pitched. But he opened the following season 0-6 with a 6.19 ERA, earning a demotion to the minors. He later informed team officials his left elbow was in pain; he wound up undergoing Tommy John surgery and missing the rest of that season, plus the majority of 2009.
Chico made a full recovery from the injury and pitched well last season, posting a 3.62 ERA in 26 combined starts between Syracuse and Class AA Harrisburg. But his standing on the Nationals' pitchingRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws
- Nats' Triple-A affiliate Syracuse raking in postseason awards
- A primer on postseason roster eligibility rules
- Around the NL East: Stanton making strong push for NL MVP
- Nationals can't pull off dramatic rally this time
- Nats' momentum stalls vs. Phillies in first game of long road trip
- Cabrera out of lineup, but not seriously injured