Dec 22, 2010, 6:48 PM EST
Rest easy, Matt Chico fans: The left-hander will remain with the Nationals organization after all.
Chico, who was designated for assignment earlier this week, cleared waivers and was outrighted to Class AAA Syracuse, the club announced today.
Though the Nationals only announced the DFA move last night, Chico must have been placed on waivers earlier in the week after the team signed right-hander Chien-Ming Wang. Players must remain on waivers for 72 hours, with other clubs having the right to claim them. If no claim is made, the player remains his original team’s property and is outrighted to the minors.
Chico will be invited to big-league camp next spring, though his chances of making the Nationals’ Opening Day rotation are slim at best.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'
- Marlins sign Rafael Furcal, what are they up to?
- With Ellsbury & McCann, Yankees could be just getting started
- Report: Nats interested in lefty Scott Downs
- Market is thinning of left-handers
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?
- VIDEO: Analysis of Fister trade
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal
- Fister "excited" about trade to Nationals