Dec 22, 2010, 6:48 PM EDT
Rest easy, Matt Chico fans: The left-hander will remain with the Nationals organization after all.
Chico, who was designated for assignment earlier this week, cleared waivers and was outrighted to Class AAA Syracuse, the club announced today.
Though the Nationals only announced the DFA move last night, Chico must have been placed on waivers earlier in the week after the team signed right-hander Chien-Ming Wang. Players must remain on waivers for 72 hours, with other clubs having the right to claim them. If no claim is made, the player remains his original team’s property and is outrighted to the minors.
Chico will be invited to big-league camp next spring, though his chances of making the Nationals’ Opening Day rotation are slim at best.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ross shines against former team, pulled early for innings limit
- Span likely out for season after latest injury
- Nats banged up in 4-2 victory over Padres, win third straight series
- Updated: Taylor leaves Nats-Padres game after colliding with wall
- Updated: Escobar leaves Nats-Padres game with injury
- Span sits to rest sore back; other Nats injury notes
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres
- Around the NL East: Will the Mets ever lose again?
- Double play on 3-0 pitch kills Nationals' rally
- Gonzalez turns in uneven outing, drops third straight