Dec 22, 2010, 6:48 PM EDT
Rest easy, Matt Chico fans: The left-hander will remain with the Nationals organization after all.
Chico, who was designated for assignment earlier this week, cleared waivers and was outrighted to Class AAA Syracuse, the club announced today.
Though the Nationals only announced the DFA move last night, Chico must have been placed on waivers earlier in the week after the team signed right-hander Chien-Ming Wang. Players must remain on waivers for 72 hours, with other clubs having the right to claim them. If no claim is made, the player remains his original team’s property and is outrighted to the minors.
Chico will be invited to big-league camp next spring, though his chances of making the Nationals’ Opening Day rotation are slim at best.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rizzo not looking for outside help despite injuries
- Reliever Janssen needs MRI on shoulder
- Miami Marlins name Opening Day starter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order