Dec 23, 2010, 7:56 PM EDT
The Nationals have lost left-hander Aaron Thompson to the Pirates on a waiver claim, a move that brings the club’s 40-man roster back down to its maximum allowable number.
Thompson, 23, went a combined 5-13 with a 5.65 ERA at Class AA Harrisburg and Class AAA Syracuse this season. He was originally acquired by the Nationals in the July 2009 trade that sent Nick Johnson to the Marlins.
Needing to clear a spot on the 40-man roster when outfielder Rick Ankiel signed earlier this week, the Nationals placed Thompson on waivers. Had he cleared, he could have been outrighted to the minors. The Pirates, though, put in a claim and today were awarded Thompson’s rights.
Thus, the Nats’ 40-man roster is now at 40 players again. For those wondering whether they needed to drop another person to make room for right-hander Ryan Mattheus, a club official explained that while Mattheus did sign a major-league contract this fall, he did so before getting outrighted to Syracuse. Basically, he’s a minor-leaguer not on the 40-man roster with a major-league contract.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg, Nats hope to turn page vs. Cardinals
- Harper, Williams and Werth on benching (VIDEO)
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game