Dec 28, 2010, 3:44 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Ian Desmond should be an improved player in his second big-league season.
Yesterday's posting about the remaining market for first basemen and starting pitchers spurred a discussion about the overall improvement (or lack thereof) the Nationals have made so far this winter.
Opinions seemed to be split among those who believe this team will be better in 2011 because of the development of several young players versus those who believe the Nats will be worse because of a lack of impact additions (other than Jayson Werth) and the projected regressions of several players.
It's an interesting debate, and I wanted to continue it today with more of an analytical tone. Have the Nationals improved or gotten worse so far this winter? To me, the best way to determine that is to look at the club position-by-position and compare what it had this year versus what it will have next year.
This exercise, of course, is subjective rather than objective. It also requires some educated projecting of stats and performance. And there are still seven weeks until pitchers and catchers report to Viera, with plenty of opportunity for more roster changes between now andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Robinson's seventh-inning homer good enough for 2-1 win
- Gonzalez heads to the mound to start series vs. Giants
- Williams got Division Series out of mind quickly
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats, Astros making a push
- Wacky way for Scherzer to take another loss
- Scherzer goes distance, but controversial call hands Nats loss
- Scherzer looks to keep historic run going
- Warning: Harper's Body Issue cover will make you blush
- Nats sign 1st significant Latin prospect in years
- Around the NL East: Phillies hire MacPhail to help rebuild effort