Dec 30, 2010, 4:00 PM EDT
Thanks to everyone who contributed to the "Best (and other) Moments of 2010" poll yesterday. You all gave some fantastic answers and insight into why you chose the moments you did. Plus, a bunch of you made me laugh with your wickedly funny answers.
I've pored through all the answers, and I think I've come up with the consensus selections. So here's what the readership picked for each moment, along with my own personal choice in each category…
BEST MOMENT OF 2010
Readers pick: Stephen Strasburg's debut
My pick: Stephen Strasburg's debut
This one was no contest. The electricity in the ballpark that night was second-to-none. The press box was packed beyond capacity. The entire baseball world was watching on TV. And then the kid not only lived up to the hype but exceeded it by a factor of 10.
WORST MOMENT OF 2010
Readers pick: Opening Day
My pick: Opening Day
It was a neck-and-neck race between the Opening Day fiasco against the Phillies and Stephen Strasburg's injury, but Opening Day barely won out. It was bad enough that the Nationals laid an egg in the game. That it happened in front of a huge pro-Philly crowd that came down I-95 on chartered buses and prevented actual D.C. fans from buying tickets turned this into a moment no one around here will soon forget.
FUNNIEST MOMENT OF 2010
Readers pick: The Miss Iowa saga
My pick: The Miss Iowa saga
Guess we really do think alike in most cases. The moment Miguel Batista said, "Imagine if you go to see Miss Universe, then you end up having Miss Iowa, you might get those kind of boos," I knew he had just uttered the quote of the year. I didn't know, though, that it wouldRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper travels through time in new ad (VIDEO)
- Williams faces first real test as Nationals manager
- Nats' defensive mistakes add up in loss to Cardinals
- Nats lose 8-0 to Cardinals on Wainwright's two-hitter
- Span scores three runs for Hagerstown in minor league rehab game
- Doug Fister pitches in Viera, timetable for return set
- Bryce Harper back in Nats’ lineup to face Cardinals
- Nats return home to face Wainwright, Cardinals
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers making noise
- Nationals dominating opponents late in games