Jan 6, 2011, 3:13 PM EDT
In coming to terms this week with Adam LaRoche, the Nationals were able to cross off one of their big offseason needs: a first baseman to replace Adam Dunn. They had already crossed off their need for a power-hitting outfielder with Jayson Werth. And they previously addressed needs off the bench (Rick Ankiel, Matt Stairs) and in the bullpen (Henry Rodriguez, Rule 5 draftee Elvin Ramirez).
So, what's left for the Nats to do before pitchers and catchers report to Space Coast Stadium on February 15?
Let's run through the remaining areas of need heading into the offseason's final month…
I suppose this is always going to be a need. Every GM in baseball says he's always looking for more pitching. Well, maybe not the guys in Philadelphia (Ruben Amaro Jr.) or San Francisco (Brian Sabean). Mike Rizzo would certainly say he's looking for more pitching. Whether he actually acquires any before spring training remains to be seen.
There are essentially three remaining avenues for the Nationals to pick up a starter: 1) Sign a high-tier free agent, 2) Trade for an established guy, or 3) Sign an affordable pitcher off the scrap heap.
Carl Pavano is the only high-tier free agent left on the market, and though the Nats have been connected to the right-hander all winter, I've never believed he was likely to land here. Team officials have been reluctant all along to give the 35-year-old a multi-year deal, andRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense
- Who is the Nats best 8th inning option?
- Fister pitches 3 innings, on track for May 7 return
- Nats Game Thread: No rest for Desmond
- Nationals recall Barrett, send Cedeno to AAA
- Clippard: "No one is going to feel sorry for me" (VIDEO)
- Desmond, Clippard unravel in eighth inning of Nats' loss
- Williams shows faith in Clippard despite struggles
- Trout talk: How good is he? (VIDEO)