Jan 7, 2011, 1:52 AM EST
F.P. Santangelo, a former big-league utilityman who worked as a fill-in broadcaster for the Giants last season, has been chosen as the Nationals' new game analyst on MASN.
Neither the club nor the network has announced the hiring yet, but two sources familiar with the decision confirmed Santangelo was selected out of a sizable group of ex-players who applied for the job that became available after Rob Dibble was fired in September.
Santangelo, who will serve as analyst alongside play-by-play announcer Bob Carpenter, assumes the job previously held by Dibble, who lost his job after making critical comments about Stephen Strasburg on his satellite radio show. Ray Knight, who filled in for the rest of the season, is expected to return to his original duties as pre- and post-game analyst alongside host Johnny Holliday.
The Nationals have now had six different TV analysts in seven seasons: Ron Darling (2005), Tom Paciorek (2006), Don Sutton (2007-08), Dibble (2009-10), Knight (2010) and Santangelo (2011-).
Frank-Paul Santangelo, 43, played seven seasons with the Expos, Giants, Dodgers and Athletics, posting a career .245 average with 21 homers and 162 RBI. Primarily an outfielder, he also played second base, third base and shortstop in the major leagues before retiringRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett
- Nats sign pair of veterans to minor-league deals
- Rizzo happy to bring reliever Sean Burnett back to Nats