Jan 7, 2011, 1:52 AM EST
F.P. Santangelo, a former big-league utilityman who worked as a fill-in broadcaster for the Giants last season, has been chosen as the Nationals' new game analyst on MASN.
Neither the club nor the network has announced the hiring yet, but two sources familiar with the decision confirmed Santangelo was selected out of a sizable group of ex-players who applied for the job that became available after Rob Dibble was fired in September.
Santangelo, who will serve as analyst alongside play-by-play announcer Bob Carpenter, assumes the job previously held by Dibble, who lost his job after making critical comments about Stephen Strasburg on his satellite radio show. Ray Knight, who filled in for the rest of the season, is expected to return to his original duties as pre- and post-game analyst alongside host Johnny Holliday.
The Nationals have now had six different TV analysts in seven seasons: Ron Darling (2005), Tom Paciorek (2006), Don Sutton (2007-08), Dibble (2009-10), Knight (2010) and Santangelo (2011-).
Frank-Paul Santangelo, 43, played seven seasons with the Expos, Giants, Dodgers and Athletics, posting a career .245 average with 21 homers and 162 RBI. Primarily an outfielder, he also played second base, third base and shortstop in the major leagues before retiringRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole