Jan 10, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
Anyone who follows baseball closely — as you all do — knows there’s really no such thing as the offseason anymore. Teams make news nearly 365 days a year, and the Nationals have certainly kept busy since last setting foot on a major-league diamond.
So there’s really no perfect time for beat writers to take vacation, much as we try to schedule our time off during what we project will be uneventful stretches. The Nats will probably make some kind of news this week; Adam LaRoche is scheduled to be in town for his introductory press conference at some point, and there are other matters that will crop up.
But even we beat writers are human (believe it or not) and need to take a little time off now and again to refresh our batteries. So you won’t be hearing from me the rest of the week as I attempt to get away from baseball for a few days.
That doesn’t, however, mean you guys should stop following your favorite ballclub, especially if news occurs during my absence. I’m setting up the blog to publish a new post each morning that will allow you to continue the ongoing conversation with each other. I trust you can police yourself and not let the place completely fall apart. Right? Right?
I’ll be back next Monday to catch up on the events of the week and provide details about the coverage plan for the 2011 season.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast