Jan 18, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
Updated at 2:44 p.m.
The Nationals have come to terms on one-year contracts with outfielder Michael Morse and left-hander Doug Slaten, avoiding arbitration with both players. Tom Gorzelanny, meanwhile, came to terms with the Cubs on his own one-year contract, which the Nationals will inherit once the left-hander's trade becomes official.
Today is the deadline for all arbitration-eligible players to either sign with their respective clubs or exchange contract figures in advance of hearings that will take place next month. With Morse, Slaten and left-hander John Lannan (who came to terms yesterday on a one-year, $2.75 million contract) now signed and Gorzelanny's case settled by the Cubs, the Nationals will avoid taking any players to arbitration for the first time since the franchise relocated from Montreal in 2005.
Morse's contract includes a base salary of $1.05 million, with the opportunity to earn up to $300,000 more in incentives based on plate appearances. The 28-year-old utilityman is coming off a breakout season in which he hit .289 with 15 homers and 41 RBI in only 98 games while earning only $410,000.
The Nationals plan to use Morse as the right-handed half of a left-field platoon with either Roger Bernadina or Rick Ankiel. He wasRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent