Jan 18, 2011, 5:06 PM EDT
Updated at 2:44 p.m.
The Nationals have come to terms on one-year contracts with outfielder Michael Morse and left-hander Doug Slaten, avoiding arbitration with both players. Tom Gorzelanny, meanwhile, came to terms with the Cubs on his own one-year contract, which the Nationals will inherit once the left-hander's trade becomes official.
Today is the deadline for all arbitration-eligible players to either sign with their respective clubs or exchange contract figures in advance of hearings that will take place next month. With Morse, Slaten and left-hander John Lannan (who came to terms yesterday on a one-year, $2.75 million contract) now signed and Gorzelanny's case settled by the Cubs, the Nationals will avoid taking any players to arbitration for the first time since the franchise relocated from Montreal in 2005.
Morse's contract includes a base salary of $1.05 million, with the opportunity to earn up to $300,000 more in incentives based on plate appearances. The 28-year-old utilityman is coming off a breakout season in which he hit .289 with 15 homers and 41 RBI in only 98 games while earning only $410,000.
The Nationals plan to use Morse as the right-handed half of a left-field platoon with either Roger Bernadina or Rick Ankiel. He wasRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants