Jan 18, 2011, 5:06 PM EST
Updated at 2:44 p.m.
The Nationals have come to terms on one-year contracts with outfielder Michael Morse and left-hander Doug Slaten, avoiding arbitration with both players. Tom Gorzelanny, meanwhile, came to terms with the Cubs on his own one-year contract, which the Nationals will inherit once the left-hander's trade becomes official.
Today is the deadline for all arbitration-eligible players to either sign with their respective clubs or exchange contract figures in advance of hearings that will take place next month. With Morse, Slaten and left-hander John Lannan (who came to terms yesterday on a one-year, $2.75 million contract) now signed and Gorzelanny's case settled by the Cubs, the Nationals will avoid taking any players to arbitration for the first time since the franchise relocated from Montreal in 2005.
Morse's contract includes a base salary of $1.05 million, with the opportunity to earn up to $300,000 more in incentives based on plate appearances. The 28-year-old utilityman is coming off a breakout season in which he hit .289 with 15 homers and 41 RBI in only 98 games while earning only $410,000.
The Nationals plan to use Morse as the right-handed half of a left-field platoon with either Roger Bernadina or Rick Ankiel. He wasRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast