Jan 19, 2011, 5:08 PM EST
The Nationals have agreed to terms with Todd Coffey on a contract, a source familiar with the deal confirmed this morning, adding a veteran reliever to an already-deep bullpen.
Coffey, 30, must pass a physical before the deal is completed. Contract terms aren't immediately known.
The right-hander went 2-4 with a 4.76 ERA in 69 appearances for the Brewers last season, hampered during the second half by a thumb injury. Eligible for arbitration and in position to receive a raise from his $2.025 million salary, he was non-tendered by Milwaukee last month and became a free agent.
Coffey owns a 19-17 record, a 4.15 ERA and 11 saves in 369 career appearances over six seasons with the Brewers and Reds. A husky figure at 6-foot-4, 240 pounds, he's made a name for himself over the years for sprinting to the mound when summoned from the bullpen.
Nationals relievers posted a collective 3.35 ERA last season, the fifth-best mark in the majors. Most of the unit returns intact, including Drew Storen, Sean Burnett, Tyler Clippard, Doug Slaten andRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nationals sign outfielder McLouth to 2-year deal
- Phillies looking to trade CL Jonathan Papelbon
- Mariners sign Robinson Cano to 10-year, $240 million deal
- Point/Counterpoint: How good will Fister be?
- Sean Casey: Doug Fister is 'huge for the Nationals'
- Marlins sign Rafael Furcal, what are they up to?
- With Ellsbury & McCann, Yankees could be just getting started
- Report: Nats interested in lefty Scott Downs
- Market is thinning of left-handers
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?