Jan 19, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT
The Nationals have agreed to terms with Todd Coffey on a contract, a source familiar with the deal confirmed this morning, adding a veteran reliever to an already-deep bullpen.
Coffey, 30, must pass a physical before the deal is completed. Contract terms aren't immediately known.
The right-hander went 2-4 with a 4.76 ERA in 69 appearances for the Brewers last season, hampered during the second half by a thumb injury. Eligible for arbitration and in position to receive a raise from his $2.025 million salary, he was non-tendered by Milwaukee last month and became a free agent.
Coffey owns a 19-17 record, a 4.15 ERA and 11 saves in 369 career appearances over six seasons with the Brewers and Reds. A husky figure at 6-foot-4, 240 pounds, he's made a name for himself over the years for sprinting to the mound when summoned from the bullpen.
Nationals relievers posted a collective 3.35 ERA last season, the fifth-best mark in the majors. Most of the unit returns intact, including Drew Storen, Sean Burnett, Tyler Clippard, Doug Slaten andRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2
- Phillies' A.J. Burnett likely to return for 2015
- Nationals roster report: Ryan Zimmerman
- Bumgarner, Giants stop Royals 7-1 in Series opener
- Report: Marlins may have James Shields atop shopping list