Jan 19, 2011, 7:36 PM EDT
The Nationals have signed infielder Jerry Hairston to a one-year, $2 million contract, giving the club a veteran who can take over at second base if rookie Danny Espinosa isn’t deemed ready for full-time duty as well as a versatile utilityman who can play all over the field if needed.
Hairston, who spent last season with the Padres, can earn an additional $1 million in incentives. He has primarily played second base in his career but in recent years has refashioned himself as a utilityman who can also play shortstop, third base and the outfield.
With the recent additions of Hairston, reliever Todd Coffey, first baseman Adam LaRoche and left-hander Tom Gorzelanny, the Nationals’ 40-man roster is over capacity. The club will need to remove four players to clear space for all the additions.
UPDATE AT 4:45 P.M. — We now know one of the roster casualties: J.D. Martin was given his unconditional release today, a move that corresponds with the official processing of LaRoche’s contract at MLB headquarters. The other new players’ contracts have not been processed by MLB yet, thus the other 40-man moves haven’t been made yet.
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Tuesday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Tuesday's early games
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
(End of regular season)
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals defeat Mets in triumphant return home
- Updated: Span leaves Tuesday's game with injury
- Division champ Nats come home for final week
- Zimmermann may be pushed back a day with bruised shoulder
- Zimmerman sits out vs. Mets after feeling soreness over weekend
- Around the NL East: Big offseasons ahead
- Predicting who makes the Nationals' playoff roster
- Yankees claim former Nats OF prospect off waivers
- State of the Nats: Final week before playoffs brings tough decisions
- Braves fire GM Frank Wren after missing playoff