Jan 24, 2011, 6:53 PM EDT
The Nationals have designated right-hander Shairon Martis for assignment, a move that clears space on their 40-man roster for utilityman Jerry Hairston, who was officially added today.
Once a rising star in the Nationals' farm system, Martis was a surprise member of the 2009 Opening Day rotation and began that season with a 5-0 record. He hasn't won another big-league game since. After falling to 5-3 with a 5.25 ERA in 15 starts, he was optioned to Class AAA Syracuse.
Martis, 23, spent all of 2010 at Syracuse, going 8-7 with a 4.09 ERA in 27 starts. The Nationals, who used 14 different starting pitchers last season, never gave Martis a chance to return to the big leagues, evidence of his diminished stature on the organizational depth chart.
Martis now has 10 days to either be traded, released or clear waivers and be outrighted to the minors. A source close to the Curacao native said Martis hopes to land with another organization.
The Nationals signed Hairston on Wednesday to a one-year, $2 million contract to serve as a jack-of-all trades off the bench. The 34-year-old utilityman can play second base, shortstop, third base andRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Rockies, 8:40 p.m.
WED: Nats at Rockies, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ian Desmond notches five hits, Nats rock Colorado
- Harper sits, Zimmerman in left as Nats face Rockies
- NL East: Lee and Cishek drawing interest on trade market
- Dan Uggla signs with the San Francisco Giants
- Nats fan sports 'Curly W' beard (PHOTO)
- State of the Nats: 9-game road trip begins Monday
- Resurgent Zimmerman leads Nats' potent lineup
- Werth, Rendon, scouting come together in Nats win
- Instant analysis: Nats 5, Brewers 4
- Nationals try to overcome pinch-hitting woes